Friday, March 26, 2010

Strawberry Shortcake & Dried Fruit! Plan Ahead

I have been drooling over all the different varieties of Strawberries that Sakuma Brothers Nursery in Mt Vernon, WA have to offer. I think we are going to try the Seascape for the ever bearing variety, and Puget Reliance for a June bearing variety. I will distribute them among my clients, our community garden, my house & farm.
I like to make jam, and lately I have been drying fruit and saving it for camping trips and winter snacks. We do a lot of camping, hiking and snowboarding, so it is nice to have quick snacks with a burst of energy that don't have extra sugar. I am not sure how many of these will make it to winter if they are not in a canning jar! We tried making freezer jam from some of the plums, but they are still in the freezer whereas the dried plums are already gone!
We collected plums from the neighborhood, and pears from our yard and dried them last year and were convinced this is the best way to preserve for our needs.  This year, one of our goals is to collect cherries from one our friend's three trees before the birds or her dogs eat them all.  It is tricky on the timing, but I am determined (and watching) this year.
peace-
Jayne

No comments:

Post a Comment