Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Peas are in the Ground!

I have planted sugar snaps in the ground in three sites so far, and I am hoping the warmer, weather we are supposed to get is going to help them grow. I have more peas to plant if those don't work out, but I am hoping they will! Just remember when you are planting to always plant  more than you need so you can share the bounty with the wildlife (slugs included). You can always thin them by cutting them back with scissors if you have them too close together (2").
I also planted some lettuces in various places, but nothing has grown more than 1/4" tall even in the hoop house. I will continue to plant lettuce seeds every two or three weeks so I will have lettuce to eat through the spring! Mostly I am planting cut and come again varieties outside now, but the head lettuces are started inside. Last year we planted romaine too close together at the community garden, and we never ended up thinning it well enough. It was too wimpy, and then turned bitter and bolted.... That is why we keep planting more- if one batch messes up, just turn it in and plant something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment