Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Planting bare root Strawberries & Blueberries

Yay Fruit! So, My strawberries are here, and they are scary looking! They come dormant and dank looking... They are not sprouting yet, which it says in the instructions is a good thing, but I have to put them in the ground as soon as possible, so I am off to plant in all the gardens I know. I am filling pots and planting them in every open row I can find! One of my clients cancelled on me, so I have a few extra! If you want to plant some this year, email me at jayne@sistersageherbs.com and I will see how many I have and the price after shipping.

The spacing is supposed to be one plant per square foot, but the ever bearing ones can be planted closer. I planned on planting equal amounts of June bearing and ever bearing so that we would have early and late crops from the Tri Star, and a big crop of Puget Reliance in the middle of the season all at once for canning, etc. Both were chosen because of the resistance to root rot, etc and appropriate for our climate and wet winters in general. I am going to try to dry some, can some, freeze some, and eat as many fresh as I can!

I have a couple of fruit trees I never re-planted- one cherry is already laden with fruit nubbins, and the other apple will probably be planted at the farm but both are espalier trained. I also got some black raspberries and blueberries (all bare root) and we will see how those go this year! Yay fruit!

No comments:

Post a Comment